LAW OF GOD PROVIDED
GOD’S LAWS ARE HOLY AND GOOD
(Rm 7:7; 1Tm 1:18).
SUMMARY OF THE LAW: Yeshua reiterated, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets” (Mt 22:37-40; Rm 13:9). Meaning this is the foundation, the intent of the laws. Ten Commandments and other laws show us how to do it.
What are the new testament laws or the laws Chrisians are to keep?
10 COMMANDMENTS (Ex 20:2-17; Dt 5:6-21; Jh 15:9-10)
God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me (Mt 6:24).
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them (1Jh 5:21).
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain (Mt 5:33-37; Mk 3:28-30)
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it (Mk 2:27; Ac 17:2-3; 18:4).
- Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee (Ep 6:2).
- Thou shalt not murder (Jm 2:8-12).
- Thou shalt not commit adultery (Jm 2:8-12; 1Co 7:39).
- Thou shalt not steal (Mt 19:18).
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor (1Tm 5:13; Mt 19:18).
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's” (Rm 7:7).
Yeshua added a commandment, “A new commandment I give you, that you love one another as I have loved you” (Jh 13:34; 15:12).
YESHUA RAISED THE STANDARD
- “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect” (Mt 5:48).
- “Whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment (Lv 19:17): and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire” (Mt 5:22).
- “Whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart” (Mt 5:28).
- “Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you” (Mt 5:44).
- “When thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly” (Mt 6:3-4).
- Pray: “When thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly and don’t use vain repetitions” (Mt 6:6-18; 18:1; 21:36).
- Fast: “When the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days” (Lk 5:35; Mk 9:29).
- “Forgive mankind their trespasses, if you don’t neither will your Father forgive your trespasses” (Mt 6:14-15).
- Do not layup treasures on earth but in Heaven (Mt 6:19–21). Do this by giving to the poor (Mk 10:21), especially to believers in need (Mt 25:37-40; Gl 6:10).
- “Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you” (Mt 6:33-34).
- “Be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ” (Mt 23:8-10).
- Feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, take in strangers, clothe the naked, visit the sick and those in prison (Mt 25:35-40).
- Gather with believers & partake of the Lord’s Supper in the remembrance of what Yeshua did and receive from Him (Lk 22:19-21; Jh 6:53-58; Hb 10:25).
- “Go ye therefore, and disciple all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Ame”n (Mt 28:19-20).
- Now to whomever we are called, p (Mt 4:17; 10:) (Jh 3:5, 16; 14:6; 15:16; Mt 24:14).
- “Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons freely you have received freely give” (Mt 10:8; 28:19; Mk 16:17-18).
EARLY CHURCH REMINDED US:
- “Do not to eat things sacrificed unto idols” (Rv 2:14), or blood, or things strangled (Ac 15:19-21) but eat what God calls food and not what we call food.Eat what He created to be received with thanksgiving (1Tm 4:4-5; Lv 11; Dt 14): no pork, shell fish, snakes etc.
- “Do not commit fornication” (Rv 2:14; Ac 15:19-21).
- “Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble and to keep oneself unspotted from the world” (Jm 1:27; Ex 22:21).
- “Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine” (1Tm 5:17, 1Co 9:9-11; Dt 25:4).
For more indepth look at the law of God - the differences between the commandments and ordinances click here.